Sunday, January 24, 2010

An Easy Fix....

Does anyone have that skinny, long window by the side of their front door? You know, the one that you have to custom order special widow treatments for, because it is an awkward size? I Have one, and I don't mind it, except for the fact that you have to spend a fortune if you want to have blinds or shades made for it. So, I've been waited until I could find a better & cheaper solution. I have even stuffed pillows in it so that the sun didn't blind us. Ghetto Fabulous right? Well, I've finally found the solution, Shutters! Why haven't I thought of this sooner? I use shutters for so many of my project make over's, and I have so many just sitting in my basement waiting to be used. My sisters friend gave me these ones over a year ago, and they were the perfect size!






First, I dug out the old Sun bucket of hardware, and found some hinges and knobs that worked famously!




Then, I spray painted the silver hinges, and the wooden knobs black, to go with the rest of the decor in my house.




Black spray paint, only .98 cents at Walmart!




Now, just a reminder of the before,
DRAB right?



Now the AFTER! Isn't it so happy?
I painted them the same Autumn Wreath yellow, that I used on my Ice box hutch.




Each of the Shutters open to let the sunlight in, or to check who's rap, tap, tapping at the door!




This step may have been easier before I hung the shutters, but I didn't know If I was going to use it. I stained around the edges and in various other places to give it a worn and tattered feel. I love the Dark Walnut Stain, I use it on everything! It can also be found at Walmart.




AHhhhhhhh, isn't that better?





Now, to dress it up a little, I added a wreath from my favorite guy in Utah, The Weed Man!  On the outskirts of Layton, lies this hidden treasure. He sales all sorts of wreaths, and even custom makes them for oh so cheap. I can't go to Utah without stopping by!




I Just love how it turned out!
Now, I need to paint my drab front door Black, to match the outside, and replace that wretched golden wonder with a more updated knob, don't you think?





11 comments:

  1. Love it Hanna! It is totally FAB! And I am still lovin' that color! So cheerful and unique! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT! And I'm actually looking for shutters for the girls room...I think it's so unique and super cute, and I ALWAYS love that yellow. (is that the bucket of paint I gave you?)

    loves ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! I have those beautious gold windows by my door that I have hated since we moved in.....now I know what to do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Thanks for saying hi. I'm hoping you'll post a pic of your zipper flowers you made. I'd love to see 'em! :)
    Your shutters look so fab. Love the color. And a black front door will just finish the look.
    best wishes,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. K.. so tell me these are not the shutters i gave you before i moved away from Idaho almost 3 years ago. If so I'm glad you finally got a good use for them. Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  6. These ones aren't yours, but yours were put to AMAZING use in my girls bedroom! I have one thing left in there room, and then I am going to post about it! How are you? Hopefully doing well, I'm so glad that you follow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally want to just hang out with you sisters{maybe even adopt you as my own} for a day so your creative juices will rub off on me! Oh yeah, and your energy:) I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your shutters! But I am even more curious about the Weed Man! I live in Ogden- near Layton- and want to go find the Weed Man! Can you give me more directions! Thanks! I'm new to your blog and absolutely LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love love love this idea! Love the colors! Love the site!!! Just found you and I am so happy I did. I want to know about The Weed Man, too. Can you post some info???

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you just casually mention how you have tons of shutters in your basement. You guys are amazing. Becca wasn't kidding when she sang your praises. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am interested as well in the Wee Man. Where is he located? Absolutely love your site btw.

    ReplyDelete

We are so glad you stopped by our blog! We hope you feel motivated, inspired, and excited to create something Fabulous of your own! We appreciate and love feedback!!