Wednesday, June 20, 2012

DIY pergo floor cleaner

 I have blonde pergo floor all acrossed my front living space, front room, kitchen, and dining room.
It opens everything up and makes it nice and spacey looking, BUT it shows dirt like no ones business.
Anyone who knows me personally, knows that I have some major OCD when it comes to my floors.
I mop almost every single day....eeeekkkk...I know....it is a pain. But I HATE to see footprints, etc on my floor.

I am spending close to $40.00 a month on swiffer disposable wet mops. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE them. But let's face it there has to be a more thrifty way. So I scoured Pinterest, sure I would find something, and  didn't. So then I Googled floor cleaner and found a recipe I decided to give it a try!

DYI Pergo laminate floor cleaner
to a measuring cup or jar, add the following:
  • 1 part Water
  • 1 part White Vinegar
  • 1 part 2% Isopropyl Alcohol
  • Few drops of liquid dish detergent
  • opt. 5 drops essential oil for smell
Mix all ingredients together and pour into a fine mist spray bottle.
Like so.....

How to Use Homemade (DIY) ‘Pergo' Laminate Flooring Cleaner

  1. Sweep or vacuum your floors first
  2. Spray the cleaner in a fine mist, low over the surface area to be cleaned
  3. Allow to set for a few minutes, then use a microfiber mop or towel to wipe it up. 
Since I had the swiffer wet mop I decided that I would still use it with a towel. But then I got to thinking that a regular wash cloth isn't as absorbent as some of the towels out there. I remembered seeing some knock off Sham-Wows @ the dollar store.  So I ran to pick up a few. You get 2 per pack @ $1.00 (they are called Shammie Whammies) The best part is they are reusable, so no more wasting!
I just attatched them like so....

I simply spritz the DYI cleaner across the floor and mopped....
One Shammie Whammie does the whole floor. I was using 3 wet mops per day before.
You'll notice right away that this mixture cleans effectively and with ease, dries quickly, and it is so simple to use. The best part is there is NO BUCKET REQUIRED and it is SO INEXPENSIVE!

(* side note, if you by the $ store Shammie Whammies....wash them and hang them to dry. Don't dry int he dryer or use fabric softner.)

Look at how well this cleans!!
Ewwwwww.......I KNOW!

5 comments:

  1. One of my pet peeves is a dirty floor also. This is a 'recipe' I need to try, since I also have the Pergo flooring in my high-traffic kitchen and dining room areas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!! I am buying all the stuff as soon as I can. Best tip ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!!! This is awesome! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been searching everywhere for 2% isopropyl Alcohol, where can I get it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I'm sold! I have two cats so I am mopping the floors every single day! I use the dollar wet wipes from Rite Aid dollar section but this is a much better and cheaper investment! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

We are so glad you stopped by our blog! We hope you feel motivated, inspired, and excited to create something Fabulous of your own! We appreciate and love feedback!!