Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Candle Stick Hanger Tutorial

Holy Shmoly Ohllie!
I apologize to all of you who have emailed for a how to on this project. I am finally finding some windows of free time to get on here!

So first if you missed the posts for the Make and Takes click here and here

Of course the version of these candle hangers will be slightly different 'cause the store to buy those finials is closed until after Memorial Day. 
But I figured many of you might have a hard time finding those anyways, so I modified it with pieces I am sure you can find!

We are going to make these lovelies!


What you will need!


3 Fence Post toppers (Found at Home depot..we also used these for this tutorial!)
 2x2 cut down into 3 sizes....(2) 14inch pieces and (1) 12 inch piece
 1x4 cut down into  3 sizes... all 3 1/2 inches long
Wood Glue
Wood Filler
Pin Nailer or Screw Gun
Sand paper

And..
 3 hooks that look like this. (Found these at Walmart for 2.97 each! Yikes! But I like the two heights)

and these little guys...
 I am not sure what they are called but I got a big package of them at the local craft store. They are bowled on the other side. 

And if your lucky  you could add a slave to your list too!
I had my man slave on hand to help out....tehe...he hates when I call him that!

Now let's begin shall we?!

First take your 1x4 pieces and center them on your 2x2 like so..

 If you don't havea pin nailer or screw gun to nail it down I am sure wood glue would work great. Just be patient and let it dry!

Next, pin nail the base you just made to the fence topper. Like so...


Then, take your hooks and screw them in. I did mine fairly close to the top of the 2x2.


Now, you are ready to add the top.
Dab a  little wood glue to the edges of the bottom of these wood pieces and press it down to the top. Make sure you wait and let the wood glue dry fully!



When the toppers are dry, fill in the top holes with a little wood filler. Let it dry and sand it down.



Now you re ready to paint. Usually when I teach a Make and Take class we just use indoor paints. But if you are doing this yourself....I suggest to take 1/2 the time  and use spray paint!

Walmart .98 spray paint! Gotta love it!


Give it a coat or two! 

And complete lovely Candle hangers that are versatile and fun to use!


Here are a few projects we have used them for!

But the best thing is...that are multi purpose!
If you attempt these shoot us an email thesemamasmakesense@yahoo.com. We would love to see some final projects and your version of creativity!!

20 comments:

  1. I really really like this idea! I bet you could make this into a banana hanger, a place to hang kitchen towels... Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh! I have to make these using the legs from an old dining table. So cute! Thanks for the how to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like these things but I'm not sure what a candle hanger is????? I can think of alot of other uses though. I would use it for a necklace hanger, put more hooks on the other sides. It would work great.
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh good. Glad I am not the only commenter about to ask what a candle hanger is! LOL!

    Do tell.


    However, they are pretty darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the step by step instructions. I can't wait to make one. I'm thinking of making a tall one for my front porch to hold an initial banner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok Ladies. Those of you who aren't sure what Candle Hangers are (that is just what I call them) type in this link and you can see what we have been using them for. We switch out the signs every month!

    http://gorgfabgoodies.blogspot.com/2009/12/make-and-take-for-january.html

    Take a peak! And hopefully that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ACTUALLY i WILL JUST ADD SOME PICTURES! cHECK THE POST AGAIN! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Thanks lady for the steps:) I was just going to wait for Christmas...hehe j/k I am going to make them now...

    Pssst...I can't wait to see the post on the cupboards...we are dying to see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love them! I can't wait to make some for my house! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,
    I followed you over from the Life As Lori link party. You have a teriffic blog. I am now a follower of yours. I would really love it if you came over and visited me too. Be sure to enter the drawings for the necklaces, if you do. Rory http://toolsareforwomentoo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh! I was so wrong. When I first saw this I thought how cool - a place to hang your pot holders (and a dish towel! (Rigth now mine are on magnetic hooks on the overly cluttered fridge.)
    Cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute idea.
    Slight, embarrassed. When I first saw this I thoguth it was a great idea to hang potholders and a dish towel, Rigth ni=ow my potholders are on magnetic hooks on a oerly cluttered fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are the cutest EVER! I can't wait to make them!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the chunky look of these compared to the usual wreath hangers that are thin ...I may hang my pets stockings this Christmas on them since 6 stockings on the mantle looks like enough not too much .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Make them taller and you can hang a christmas wreath.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent tutorial. I'm always looking for new display ideas for shows and such and this looks great and I really appreciate it.
    Thank you!
    David

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty! This was a really wonderful post. Thanks for providing this information.


    My web page :: safe diets

    ReplyDelete

We are so glad you stopped by our blog! We hope you feel motivated, inspired, and excited to create something Fabulous of your own! We appreciate and love feedback!!